I saw Prometheus last night and I loved it. Granted there were moments that felt a little too close to the Alien series for it to be the stand-alone (maybe-prequel) film Ridley wanted, but it was breathtakingly beautiful, and as the AV Club pointed out focused much closer on the crew’s mission and life’s greatest questions, rather than the characters themselves. And maybe this is the mild OCD kicking in, or the fact that I have yet to figure out the brightness setting on my VCR, but I loved the clean, bright ship with it’s beautiful technology and swanky bedrooms more than the constantly dripping, bleak interior of the Nostromo.
But most importantly: Captain Janek’s decision to save the world by sacrificing himself and his best men made me cry just as much as when Randy Quaid gets all crazy on those aliens in Independence Day.
I totally see what you did there, Ridley Scott. You got me good.
the goddess kelly oxford recently ranted about how wonderful it was to rent videos from a video store and how it sucks they are nearly non-existent today. i could not agree more. the only way i currently watch movies is with my VCR (because i have amassed over 100 tapes through the goodness of thrifting/my parents’ house) or i rent them from Blockbuster. because i agree, i should NEVER have to pay $3.99 to rent Joy Ride, ITUNES.
1. DENIAL: wow, seriously i haven’t run in like 9 months and i feel great. literally no pain. i think i am just a person that will always be in shape. like not look like they’re always in shape but just any day i want, be like “yeah, i’m gonna go run 3 miles and i’ll be fine!” i will be alongside k.perry in her next “fitness” commercial, everybody.
2. ANGER: WHY IS KATY PERRY IN THAT ADIDAS COMMERCIAL?? SHE’S NOT AN ATHLETE. I’M NOT AN ATHLETE. I AM A NIKE-WEARING FRAUD. I DON’T EVEN WANT TO BE FIT, I JUST WANT TO HAVE EMMA-STONE-THIN APPENDAGES. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?!
3. BARGAINING: okay, so i’ve already made it a mile without walking. like, that’s great. for a first run?? great. i said would do 2 miles but i mean that’s kind of a ridiculous expectation to put on myself.
4. DEPRESSION: everyone out here JUDGING ME. they’re all like, “who is this girl running? why does she think she can run? she moves her arms like a weird t-rex and is still barely moving at walking speed”. OMG that car i just ran in front of at the 4-way stop isn’t driving away. they are just chillin at the stop sign! i can hear them behind me, engine stalling, just watching me run. JUDGING ME.
5. ACCEPTANCE: you only have to avoid swimsuit season for 3 months, you lovable sad sack.